Sunday, January 30, 2011

Feeling like a tourist...

Today I got our my safari hat and wore capris when we went to visit Isimila -- boy did I feel like a wazungu.  Isimila was cool.  It was a miniature Grand Canyon and bit like Bryce, except that there were 300,000 - 400,000 year-old tools scattered every where (balls for sling shots, hand axes, spears and knives).  The rest of the day has been pretty lazy. 

Although most of you probably won't care (this is for my Grandma) I have seen some birds that I can identify and even used my binoculars to do some birding one afternoon.  So far my favorite has been both a male and female African Paradise Flycatcher.  I have also seen a common bulbul, lots and lots of pied crows and some other little green bird with a yellow belly and bright blue head.

Tomorrow I head to Arusha.  I'm hoping for a safe day of travels.  If I'm lucky, I might get one or 2 quick bathroom breaks during the 12-14 hour trip.  I don't know how many kilometers it is, but it will be a long trip.  For those of you who might reference a map, I'll be traveling through Morogoro and Chilanze before heading to Moshi and finally Arusha.  There is a shorter route that goes from Iringa to Dodoma, but apparently the road is very, very bad and this route is not recommended.

Wish me luck!  I hope to check in with you all from Arusha! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy. I work with Kim and she passed on your blog as well as the well laid out itin so we could know what she is up to this month. I wish you safe travels and lots of fun. Give Kim a hug from me!

    ReplyDelete