Monday, January 31, 2011

Phase II

Good morning from Arusha!  Kim and Megan made it to the Outpost about 10 PM and my bus finally rolled in at about 1 AM.  It is good to be together!  I'm excited to begin the next phase of my trip! 

The bus ride was an adventure.  Eunice from Bega Kwa Bega was waiting at the bus stop in Iringa with me when we were greeted by Pastor Kimbavala.  He has been a pastor in the Iringa area for 6 years at churches with companion congregations in the St. Paul synod.  It turns out he was on my bus to return to Arusha for seminary classes.  In fact, it turns out he was actually assigned to the seat next to me.  It was a very welcomed coincidence that we would be traveling together.  The trip was terryfiying at times.  I think I clenched my jaw for the first 6 hours during the day and the last 4 hours during the nights (I seemed to chill out a little bit during the 4 hours in the middle.  Yep -- it was a 14 hour bus trip with 3 less than 10 minute potty breaks.  I was definitely on a fluid restrictions.  There were 2 wazungu on the bus for most of the trip, but by the end I was the only mzungu.  Boy did I feel grimey!  Windows open for 14 hours (no air) made my hair and eyeballs feel nasty.  Every time the bus slowed down it reeked like urine, vomit, etc.  In all fairness, the bus seat was more comfortable than the Delta or KLM seats, but it was a cozy ride since I had my back pack on my lap for the whole trip. 

When we were waiting for the bus in the morning (which was an hour late), Pastor Kimbavala reminded me of a saying that we had already talked about numerous times during my trip:  Americans have watches and Tanzanians have the time.  All things considered, but Tanzanian bus drivers don't seem to have the time...

I'm ready to explore the North.  We're headed out for town for a few days, so I probably won't have internet again until we return to the Outpost on Friday. 

Hope all is well!  Thank you for anybody who sent prayers and happy thoughts my way during my bus ride yesterday! 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you survived the bus trip! Always an adventure . . . Safari Njema on the next leg of your journey.

    ReplyDelete